Lots of people have heard about affiliate programs and wonder if they are right for them. Here are a few facts you should know before committing to a program.
- Know if the link will take your customers to a specific page or to a specific product. If you take them to a general page it may be confusing to them.
- Make sure you only link to sites and join affiliate programs for trusted and well known sites. If people haven’t already heard of the company, chances are they won’t click through to it.
- You may only receive a check every few months or every year. So don’t think you will get paid right away.
- you will need your web person to specifically code an area of your website for banner ads and buttons. This may be an investment for you that you have to make back from the affiliate program.
- A positive for making money via affiliate programs is that online shopping dollars spent have increased every year. And your investment may be little or nothing.
- Some companies will ask you for site traffic and demographics before they even allow you to become an affiliate. Be prepared with this information ahead of time.
- Keep in mind you are just one affiliate of many. Its up to you to promote your link.
- Make sure when you are giving out your affiliate link, your code is represented in the web address. For example, I am an affiliate of a site which requires me to add my affiliate code at the end of the web address before I Pin it. By doing so, I make sure I earn credit for sales that come through my Pins.
There are a lot of pros and cons to each affiliate program. Its important to remember that each one is different and you must read the fine print before signing on. There will be a time and possibly monetary investment on your part and its up to you to market the program.